Shiva the Dog isn`t normal. You know that already. But I`m not just talking about her propensity for jumping on vendor tables this time. There are a lot of things many other dogs do that are considered ”typical dog behaviours” that Shiva just isn’t interested in. I’m not complaining – many of these things are annoying or disgusting. Yet her disinclination for the below activities sets her apart. I can’t help but wonder if there is something a little off in her brain.
Things Shiva Doesn’t Do That Most Other Dogs Enjoy
- Shiva doesn’t chase squirrels. I’m serious! I’ve even pointed them out to her while walking on off-leash trails and she looks at me like I’m the weird one. She seems to have no interest in even checking them out. It’s not like she has a low prey drive: put a bird or a rabbit in front of her and she’s off in less than a second. But a squirrel can hula dance in front of her and all she’ll do is lower her head to sniff the grass.
- Shiva doesn’t eat poop. I don’t mean just the canine variety. She is equally disinterested in cat, horse, and rabbit poop. This is a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but it does strike me as odd that she will devour mud like it’s beef liver but won’t go near the stronger smelling dung. Shiva’s palate is not very refined.
- Shiva doesn’t like dead things. I could be off on this one as she hasn’t been exposed to that many dead animals but I have now been witness to several episodes in which she ignored a dead bird on the side of the road in preference for scarfing dirt.
- Shiva doesn’t freak out about loud noises. Fireworks, thunder storms, vacuum cleaners, sirens… She tolerates them all with ease. I’ve actually wondered if her hearing is off. Since she can detect the sound of a piece of kibble dropping from outside the house I’ve stopped worrying.
- Shiva doesn’t like getting dirty. This one surprises me as well. She’s such a rough and tumble kind of dog in every other way. Maybe it’s not that she doesn’t like getting dirty, but she definitely hates being wet. Even the teeniest droplet of water has her violently shaking. And while she eats it like ambrosia, she doesn’t care to roll in mud. Which leads me to the next one…
- Shiva doesn’t roll around in stinky things. She actually doesn’t roll around at all unless on cue. She has had dozens and dozens of opportunities for doing so as there are plenty of dead fish to be had for the perfuming by our lake. But like everything else above, she ignores them completely. Her dog friends must think she is crazy to pass on such a lovely opportunity.
- Shiva doesn’t mind having her nails clipped. Quite frankly, I think she likes the attention. Back when we were all nervous about doing it we bought a fancy doggy pedicure tool. It made a buzzing sound when we switched it on which kind of put her on edge. I think she thought it was a toy as she kept biting at it. When we switched to plain old boring clippers she stopped paying attention entirely.
After writing all this I gotta wonder if I am wasting my money on expensive kibble. Perhaps I should just feed her the mud from our backyard instead.
Does your dog not do something that you think is normal?