Things Shiva Doesn’t Do That Most Other Dogs Enjoy

Shiva the Dog isn`t normal. You know that already. But I`m not just talking about her propensity for jumping on vendor tables this time. There are a lot of things many other dogs do that are considered ”typical dog behaviours” that Shiva just isn’t interested in. I’m not complaining – many of these things are annoying or disgusting. Yet her disinclination for the below activities sets her apart. I can’t help but wonder if there is something a little off in her brain.

Things Shiva Doesn’t Do That Most Other Dogs Enjoy

•  Shiva doesn’t chase squirrels. I’m serious! I’ve even pointed them out to her while walking on off-leash trails and she looks at me like I’m the weird one. She seems to have no interest in even checking them out. It’s not like she has a low prey drive: put a bird or a rabbit in front of her and she’s off in less than a second. But a squirrel can hula dance in front of her and all she’ll do is lower her head to sniff the grass.
  • Shiva doesn’t eat poop. I don’t mean just the canine variety. She is equally disinterested in cat, horse, and rabbit poop. This is a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but it does strike me as odd that she will devour mud like it’s beef liver but won’t go near the stronger smelling dung. Shiva’s palate is not very refined.
  • Shiva doesn’t like dead things. I could be off on this one as she hasn’t been exposed to that many dead animals but I have now been witness to several episodes in which she ignored a dead bird on the side of the road in preference for scarfing dirt.
  • Shiva doesn’t freak out about loud noises. Fireworks, thunder storms, vacuum cleaners, sirens… She tolerates them all with ease. I’ve actually wondered if her hearing is off. Since she can detect the sound of a piece of kibble dropping from outside the house I’ve stopped worrying.
  • Shiva doesn’t like getting dirty. This one surprises me as well. She’s such a rough and tumble kind of dog in every other way. Maybe it’s not that she doesn’t like getting dirty, but she definitely hates being wet. Even the teeniest droplet of water has her violently shaking. And while she eats it like ambrosia, she doesn’t care to roll in mud. Which leads me to the next one…
  • Shiva doesn’t roll around in stinky things. She actually doesn’t roll around at all unless on cue. She has had dozens and dozens of opportunities for doing so as there are plenty of dead fish to be had for the perfuming by our lake. But like everything else above, she ignores them completely. Her dog friends must think she is crazy to pass on such a lovely opportunity.
  • Shiva doesn’t mind having her nails clipped. Quite frankly, I think she likes the attention. Back when we were all nervous about doing it we bought a fancy doggy pedicure tool. It made a buzzing sound when we switched it on which kind of put her on edge. I think she thought it was a toy as she kept biting at it. When we switched to plain old boring clippers she stopped paying attention entirely.

After writing all this I gotta wonder if I am wasting my money on expensive kibble. Perhaps I should just feed her the mud from our backyard instead.

Does your dog not do something that you think is normal?

27 Comments on Things Shiva Doesn’t Do That Most Other Dogs Enjoy

1. Pamela
    February 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm (2 years ago)

I’m with Jan. At the very least, could you take some video of Shiva not rolling in rotted fish for me to share with Honey?

Here’s what Honey doesn’t do: She doesn’t get all excited when Mike or I come home. I’ve always had Shepherd-type dogs. Y’know, the “I only love my people and no one else in the world” kinda dogs. And they would go crazy when I got home.

Honey? Not so much. She slowly ambles down the stairs, picks up a toy to carry out in the back yard, and calmly walks outside.

If the plumber comes, the mailman, or any stranger on the street, however, she’ll go insane as if they are her long lost buddy and she can’t contain her joy at seeing them again. It’s a good thing I’m not overly sensitive or my feelings would be very hurt.
    Pamela recently posted..The Puppiness Project – Try Your Dreams On for SizeMy Profile

• Karen
      February 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm (2 years ago)

Pearl does this too! I come home and if she is comfortable on the couch she will lift her head like, “oh hey,” and then put it back down but if we have friends over she cannot contain herself and we actually have to crate her for fear she will hurt herself or them in her overwhelming excitement.
      Karen recently posted..PeaceMy Profile

2. Jen
    February 27, 2012 at 4:30 pm (2 years ago)

I’m seeing a lot of Shiva/Elka overlap!

Differences? Elka would chase squirrels, if I let her, but a verbal redirection is all she needs. Sometimes she minds having her nails clipped, others not. She doesn’t roll in anything either, but last year did discover the wonder of splashing her front paws in mud puddles.

I dunno. Are our dogs weird, or those other dogs? ;)
    Jen recently posted..Monday Mischief: February 27 2012My Profile

February 27, 2012 at 5:06 pm (2 years ago)

The only thing I can think of and I’m not sure if it’s “not normal” or not, but Sampson prefers people to dogs. When we go to training class he is most eager to greet all of the people, he could care less about the dogs. :-(

I too would send my dogs to the “don’t eat poop” and “don’t roll in dead things” school by Shiva the Dog.
    Jodi recently posted..Do You See What I See?My Profile

4. Karen
    February 27, 2012 at 5:44 pm (2 years ago)

Pearl is very similar in some of her un-doglike behaviors. She also hates getting dirty (and HATES getting wet), doesn’t mind getting her nails clipped, and doesn’t mind loud noises like thunder, fireworks, etc. Especially the loud noises thing is nice, because it may be the ONE thing about Pearl’s behavior that is actually easier than most other dogs. Sadly, she does eat poop. She is not a big dog poop eater but she just loves rabbit poop. Yuck.
    Karen recently posted..PeaceMy Profile

5. 2browndawgs
    February 27, 2012 at 5:55 pm (2 years ago)

I would say the only thing the brown dawgs have in common with Shiva is that they do not mind loud noises. In their minds, gunshot=birds and they are good with that. But they will chase any animal that runs and that means the cat too. They will bring back dead birds (or worse) if sent to fetch and they cannot find the freshly shot bird. Oh wait, they don’t mind nails being clipped. It is about the only time they get extra treats. :)
    2browndawgs recently posted..Monday Mischief–The Snow PileMy Profile

6. Corbin
    February 27, 2012 at 6:02 pm (2 years ago)

I hate fireworks, I love chasing squirrels, I don’t care to roll in smelly things, I’m interested in dead things sometimes, I hate having my nails touched – which includes clipping!, and I don’t eat poop either. Oh, and I hate being wet… although, I love swimming… but if I’m walking belly deep in water, I shake shake shake trying to get dry. Hehe, I had fun learning all these things!
    -Corbin
    Corbin recently posted..Have you forgotten about me?My Profile

7. one person's view
    February 27, 2012 at 8:49 pm (2 years ago)

Wow, she really *is* Our Best Friend’s soulmate! He gets all the squirrels (which he loves, living and dead), she gets all the mud, neither eat poop, and they won’t roll on the ground or bathe together!

C’mon, you gotta come by for a visit. My guest room has your name on it!
    one person’s view recently posted..ChangesMy Profile

8. Trude
    February 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm (2 years ago)

Wow I guess you’re pretty lucky that she doesn’t do those things! My brother’s rat terrier mix LOVES rolling in stinky things. He’s like a ninja at it; you put him outside for two minutes and he’s already smelly. Dante doesn’t fear strangers at all, he’ll go up to pretty much anyone expecting to be loved and pet. Definitely not normal for an Italian Greyhound, they’re typically much more timid. Which is one of the main reasons I love him! He does great at parties. :)
    Trude recently posted..A Cuddly Sneak PeekMy Profile

9. houndstooth
    February 27, 2012 at 11:56 pm (2 years ago)

Maybe Shiva is part Greyhound… A lot of those traits sound very familiar!

Our second dog, Hawk, always made me wonder if dogs could be autistic. He was such an oddball. He HATED going in Petsmart, I’m pretty sure because of the acoustics in there. It’s kind of like a warehouse kind of store. He didn’t like people with a certain voice quality, either. He was eighty pounds of dog, but my mom’s ten pound Bichon cross could put him in the corner. However, if that same dog harassed our other Greyhound or me, all he saw was Hawk’s teeth. Most Greyhounds are pretty social, but he was a one pack dog. I learned a lot from him, but it wasn’t all easy!
    houndstooth recently posted..Kuster’s Big Training DayMy Profile

10. Jen
    February 28, 2012 at 1:28 am (2 years ago)

Are you sure Shiva is a dog? Just kidding, I think it’s great that she doesn’t do some of these things! Leroy isn’t phased at all by deer, we had a 2 of them standing outside of our fence and he just laid there and watched them, he didn’t bark or move. He’s not afraid of any loud noises that I have discovered. He does like to get dirty, very dirty and he does like to eat goose poop:(
    Jen recently posted..Monday Mischief Blog Hop. UncooperativeMy Profile

11. 24 Paws of Love
    February 28, 2012 at 1:53 am (2 years ago)

I think the two big ones that our dogs would agree with Shiva about is eating dog poop, (although wildlife poop is still a go, but not all the time) and not being scared of loud noises. Never had a problem with thunderstorms. And I think Silver and Brut may have the first monogamous dog relationship. I have never had any issues with Brut trying to take off or runaway for any reason. Seriously. Not saying he wouldn’t try to take another female if offered, but he doesn’t go looking for them. :)
    24 Paws of Love recently posted..Monday Memories-Daddy’s LullabyMy Profile

12. Danyelle Franciosa
    February 28, 2012 at 2:31 am (2 years ago)

Shiva is one of a kind dog that we all adore and I love Shiva. A very well-cared dogs are different form other dogs and definitely different.
    Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..Bifold DoorsMy Profile

February 28, 2012 at 7:45 am (2 years ago)

Song (an ex racing Greyh0und), does not chase rabbits. She’ll stand and look at them in the fields, but gives no indication she wants to chase them.

14. Peggy Frezon
    February 28, 2012 at 10:34 am (2 years ago)

Let’s see, she doesn’t like getting dirty, she enjoys her pedicures. Does Shiva/Diva also like shopping? She’s a super duper special girl!
    Peggy Frezon recently posted..Games to play with your dogMy Profile

15. Pup Fan
    February 28, 2012 at 10:36 am (2 years ago)

Bella wants to join Shiva’s Charm School too… sounds like you’d have a lot of students!

Bella’s an odd dog in many ways – she won’t chase balls or sticks (only rope or plush toys can hold her interest). She tries to catch things with her paws instead of her mouth. She licks everything… the dresser, the sofa, even a goose. I could go on… :)
    Pup Fan recently posted..Smooth (and adorable) criminals…My Profile

16. Vanessa
    February 28, 2012 at 11:42 am (2 years ago)

I am so sad not having a dog.. I am very interested on dog habits.. They are such a amazing creatures! I don’t think that your dog is weird.. It think he is a very wonderful dog! Very unique on her way.. :)
    Vanessa recently posted..Tips To Get PregnantMy Profile

17. Barb
    February 28, 2012 at 8:29 pm (2 years ago)

Shiva sounds like she’s one on her own!
    I was going to say my dog prefers people to other dogs, but on reading the comments, it seems she is not the only one! ;)
    She does all the other disgusting things like rolling on dead worms, birds and fish, eating kangaroo poop, etc., so I’d like to book Shiva for some private tuition for Poppy please!
    Barb recently posted..Finnegan The SquirrelMy Profile

18. Leslie
    February 29, 2012 at 12:32 am (2 years ago)

Until I got Bella, I always assumed the things you’re talking about WERE normal.

My Beau, whom we have post-humously named Saint Beau, was the absolute antithesis of Bella – afraid of nothing, friendly, gentle, clean and calm… Having grown up with dogs, this was my expectation, not the exception.

I wonder, if this is now the rule, what cultural shift has changed the dynamic and is that the conversation we should be having?
    Leslie recently posted..Notes from Home – 1.29.2010My Profile

19. Karen Friesecke
    February 29, 2012 at 2:07 am (2 years ago)

I wish that Jersey was a little more like Shiva. I always know that Spring has arrived when Jersey comes back in the house smelling of dead fish :(
    Karen Friesecke recently posted..Dog A Day Project – Mr. AgilityMy Profile

February 29, 2012 at 2:24 am (2 years ago)

Well, she does have the name of a goddess . . she is just far too enlightened to do typical disgusting doggie things!
    Julie recently posted..I’ve been tagged!My Profile

21. lauren
    March 7, 2012 at 9:32 pm (2 years ago)

ha ha! that’s great. desmond’s pretty much the same way, except his prey drive is turned up to 1000 and he is not a fan of fireworks or gunshots or motorcycles. vacuums, trucks, sirens and the like don’t bother him much, and storms don’t have too much of an effect either.
    lauren recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: Pillow PetMy Profile

1Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Things Shiva Doesn’t Do That Most Other Dogs Enjoy

1. [...] so I desirable to seize her something not like! Thanks for any reviews! :) Don't wait!Just reply! KACEM WAPALEK Chez LAPWASS 2 KACEM WAPALEK Chez Oster LAPWASS "Mon Blues" oster video rating: 4.925 …ss='always' allowfullscreen='true' width='640' [...]