Agility Fun Match Lowdown

Before I show you my brilliantly edited video of last weekend’s agility fun match (look out Spielberg!) I wanted to say a couple things. Because that is what I do.

First, I want to emphasize that the course was a Masters level Jumpers course. Come to think of it, all the fun matches I have attended have been Masters level courses. This is either impressive, or really disheartening. I don’t know if it will mean anything to you, but I thought I’d show you the actual course map for the run we did on Sunday – just so you can get an idea of the layout. Handlers are also given about seven minutes to walk the course beforehand, which helps tremendously with memorization.

Secondly, I also want to tell you that Shiva was jumping at 26 inches this time, as in all the jumps were set at 26 inches off the ground. At least they were supposed to be.

Shiva was the first dog jumping at this height and I was not aware before we started that about half were set at 28 inches. I had only myself to blame for this. Shiva is my dog and it is my job to make sure everything is laid out properly for her. Since we normally practice with 22 at home, 26 often looks high to me. I didn’t even notice the extra two inches on top of that. It wasn’t until the next dog began that the mistake was pointed out.

The crazy thing? Shiva had no issues flying over all 28 inches. It makes me wonder how high she could go!

The ugly: My handling skills… Yeesh. Immediately after we were done I started going through our run in my head and thinking about all the ways in which I made it harder for Shiva, all the times in which my shoulders were facing the wrong direction. The push on jump 4 stands out in my mind the most. If I’d just done a front cross after the jump… Oh well, that’s what practice is for, right?

The happy: This was a brand new environment for Shiva with lots of news smells. Yes, she ran off, but she came back almost right away and all on her own. My PH didn’t have to drop the camera this time to help retrieve her. That was a definite tear-jerking moment for me. For so long we haven’t been able to get ahead because Shiva keeps zooming around instead of focusing on the job. Now that she finally has value for hanging out with me, maybe we can work on the more intricate handling stuff. Yay!

The bonus: I don’t know if you could tell but I was using a tug toy as a reward. Not a grocery bag, not a half-eaten treat pouch, but an actual tug toy. What’s more Shiva was actually enjoying tugging on said toy in public, ie. the tug toy was actually rewarding her! It’s an agility miracle!

Thanks for all of your support! It really means a lot to know you are out there rooting for us!

25 Comments on Agility Fun Match Lowdown

1. Karen
    March 22, 2012 at 11:46 am (2 years ago)

Yay! Congrats! Shiva looks like she is having SO much fun. Every time I watch your videos I get re-motivated to try agility with Pearl, it honestly looks like a blast.
    Karen recently posted..Scattered UpdateMy Profile

2. Annie
    March 22, 2012 at 11:58 am (2 years ago)

Way to go – I am impressed with the jumps – Kita is up to 6 inches now so watching Shiva gives her something to work towards haha – good job

3. Rachel H.
    March 22, 2012 at 12:00 pm (2 years ago)

First of all … wow, that is one TOUGH course! Lots of wraps and serpentines in tight quarters. Shiva has a lovely lead-out, and I thought she seemed very game and willing to work through the course with you.

I looked at the course map before watching the vid — obsessed much? Yeah, that’s me. I actually said to myself, “well, 14 to 15 is going to make a dog think he’s going back into the tunnel.” I thought it was extra clever of Shiva to trying jumping ON the tunnel, since clearly going through it twice wasn’t correct :).
    Rachel H. recently posted..Clewe Does ‘em Straight!My Profile

4. Tena
    March 22, 2012 at 12:13 pm (2 years ago)

Yayyy!!! She looks like she had a BLAST and that’s what it’s all about! So much more focused and “into” the game this time around… very nice job (that was NOT an easy course… holy cow)!
    Tena recently posted..My newest investmentMy Profile

5. Ximena
    March 22, 2012 at 2:11 pm (2 years ago)

Have you taught her a Go Out yet? I feel like she’d benefit so much from that, especially in those jump chutes.

MASTERS LEVEL?! Seriously? I’m so impressed right now. I lol’d when she jumped on the tunnel – silly puppy!
    Ximena recently posted..Relationship Boot Camp: And On From Here.My Profile

6. Jan
    March 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm (2 years ago)

You guys make it look like so much fun and that is the only important thing when we are with our dogs. I can only imagine how much time you have put in.
    Jan recently posted..Sniffer dog has an unusual sniffing jobMy Profile

March 22, 2012 at 3:41 pm (2 years ago)

WOW! Shiva was great. She sure can jump.

8. Diane McCornack
    March 22, 2012 at 3:54 pm (2 years ago)

First I did notice right away that you were using a tug toy and I was so proud of Shiva I know that had been something she was not interested in previously so what a huge accomplishment! And second, that pup has WINGS!!! LOL And what I love the most about watching you and Shiva work is how much fun she seems to be having. She smiles the entire time that must make you very proud to know that you are offering her such a fulfilling life! Keep up the good work!
    Diane McCornack recently posted..ONLINE SPECTACULARMy Profile

9. 24 Paws of Love
    March 22, 2012 at 4:14 pm (2 years ago)

I wish I understood agility better so that I could understand better what is going on. lol I think the biggest thing I noticed was how much closer Shiva was to you and that you guys felt tight and together. As in there was less physical space between you two as well as mental. She still looks so loose and free but her maturity level is really getting up there. You two looked more in tune with each other and working more as a unit. I’m really impressed with how tight you were.

And Kristine, do you really have to question how high those long, bouncy legs can jump?? BOL!!
    24 Paws of Love recently posted..The Rant at the ShelterMy Profile

10. Georgia Little Pea
    March 22, 2012 at 4:30 pm (2 years ago)

I really enjoyed watching that! It seems such a complicated course (not that I know anything about agility). I couldn’t wait for her to go through the doughnut :) Boy, can Shiva jump! I think I’d need a lot more than a drawing and 7 minutes to remember the sequence.
    Georgia Little Pea recently posted..Shots in the dark, a body in the park and the usual suspects.My Profile

11. Pamela
    March 22, 2012 at 7:21 pm (2 years ago)

I also looked at the course map before the video and I couldn’t even find #1 for at least five minutes. That looked like a very tough course.

And I had no idea Shiva could fly. She looked beautiful. And more importantly, she looked happy. You two are really working as a team now. You have so much to be proud of.
    Pamela recently posted..Kicking Butt and Taking Names – Trash Talkin’ Round 2My Profile

March 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm (2 years ago)

Shiva sails over those obstacles! I’d be curious to see just how high she can go!
    Jen K recently posted..Moses’ Fourth BirthdayMy Profile

13. Jenn
    March 22, 2012 at 11:17 pm (2 years ago)

She’s having FUN!

You guys look great. (I know, you’re all worried about what you are doing, and that’s what you should do, because that’s what we all do – but in the meantime…) She’s having fun and you are smiling and that dang tunnel was just too confusing.

Now you just need time and practice. (I say as my high drive terrier is giving me grief about not getting out today… merrrrerrr? She says. I think she’s part cat.)

14. Romy
    March 23, 2012 at 7:32 am (2 years ago)

I guess Shiva has a lot of confidence so she was able to clear those 28 inches. For me, that is a sign that you better set up more challenging tasks for her.
    Romy recently posted..universal studios ticketsMy Profile

15. 2browndawgs
    March 23, 2012 at 9:55 am (2 years ago)

Shiva loves her those tunnels doesn’t she? LOL You and she did great. I don’t know how you remember the course. It looks so complicated. I still can’t get over how fast she is. When it all comes together, she is really going to fly.
    2browndawgs recently posted..Spring SwimMy Profile

16. Aleksandra
    March 23, 2012 at 10:06 am (2 years ago)

I’m really blown away by how far you and Shiva have come in agility. It seems like just yesterday she was getting confused and distracted on even much simpler courses, and now, look at her fly!
    I’ve just started observing intro to agility at the training center where I’m working, and I’m *extra* impressed now that I’ve seen all the building blocks necessary to really hit it. Congrats :)

17. houndstooth
    March 23, 2012 at 1:42 pm (2 years ago)

Well, I think you both look great, but I don’t know much about agility, so I don’t know if I’m the most reliable source. Still, I think you’re going to really be glad one day that you and Shiva built such a solid foundation!
    houndstooth recently posted..If You Can Just Make Someone Happy…My Profile

18. Laura, Lance, and Vito
    March 23, 2012 at 8:27 pm (2 years ago)

Wow, that looked like a tough course! Lots of subtle tricky places! I think you guys are easily ready to handle a novice course at a real trial!!! Do you plan on doing USDAA with her since she’s jumping 26?
    Laura, Lance, and Vito recently posted..Chuck UpdateMy Profile

19. lexy
    March 27, 2012 at 3:43 pm (2 years ago)

holy cow, that looks complicated. too many numbers :|
    I’m actually starting a beginners’ agility class in a few weeks – makes seeing all the stuff you guys can do even more exciting!
    lexy recently posted..SadieMy Profile

20. Amy@GoPetFriendly
    April 1, 2012 at 6:15 pm (2 years ago)

You guys are so fantastic! I’m amazed at how Shiva can jump and how much fun you both look like you’re having. Keep up the good work.