Back to the Early Morning Streets

I’ve had a bit of a break lately from my usual early morning routine. My PH took over morning walk duty for the last few months, which meant I could get up at the late hour of six-thirty, as opposed to five. Alas, these sunshine-filled mornings are over. As of today Shiva and I are back on the streets of Dartmouth in our old six am time slot.

This is a good thing – for many reasons – but I can’t say I was feeling all that positive this morning when I stepped out the door to the blowing snow. Six am is not only dark and quiet, it is also brutally cold.

Shiva has never been the type to sleep in. She is ready for a run pretty much any time of day. I often joke how I could wake her up at three am and she’d be bouncing by 3:01. Sadly, it’s not really a joke as it has been tested and confirmed. The first two years with us, Shiva would be whining to get on with her day the instant the sun came up, sometimes earlier. In the summer, this made for some very early mornings!

Is it just me, or does Shiva look sleepy??

Now that Shiva is an oh-so-mature adult she will usually allow us to sleep in as late as seven am on weekends. Occasionally, she has even remained quiet until eight. But only if we’re good and eat all our vegetables.

Clearly it was just me. Shiva looks a lot more bright-eyed in this photo, taken not five minutes later

All of this is why I was pretty amused this morning at Shiva’s bleary-eyed look when I turned on the light in the living room. Curled up in her favourite hideous green chair, she had to blink several times before she appeared to recognize me.

”Wakey, wakey, Shivers!” I sang, trying to force myself to be cheerful despite the disgustingly early hour. “Let’s go, lazybones!”

Giving me a glare The Cat would be proud of she slowly crawled out of her nest and stretched each leg.

“What’s wrong, puppy? Too tired to go for a walk?”

Shiva made me regret this taunt. After a quick shake she proceeded to hop around the living room, giving chase to the cat who had followed me up the stairs. Her energy only continued to rise during our forty-five minute journey around the neighbourhood.

By the time we returned home, Shiva had proven once more why the word “insanity” is in the title of this blog. She not only scarfed every ketchup package she could find on the ground, but also riled up the German Shepherd on the corner, dove after sleeping ducks, and knocked me off my feet on the boardwalk so she could sniff a fence post.

Though our routine may have changed in the last few months, Shiva had no problem picking right up from where she left off.

Do your dogs sleep in? Or, like Shiva, do they believe that the early canine gets the bird?

Make sure to check out the details for my blogiversary scavenger hunt! There is still plenty of time to participate and enter to win some pretty wicked prizes!

25 Comments on Back to the Early Morning Streets

1. Karen
    March 27, 2012 at 4:36 pm (2 years ago)

Pearl and Shiva are both early risers. Although, after I walk and feed her in the morning, Pearl will go back to bed and sleep in for hours. So we do have a lot of lazy Sundays where, despite Pearl waking us up at 6 we end up back in bed at 8:30 and sleep until 10 or 11. And, despite the fact that Pearl prefers her crate at night, she loves snuggling in bed with us in the mornings after breakfast.
    Karen recently posted..Gotcha!My Profile

2. Georgia Little Pea
    March 27, 2012 at 5:14 pm (2 years ago)

“…only if we’re good and eat all our vegetables.” Hahahaha!!!

I love to bits that second picture of Shiva. She’s so telling you you’re potty for having dragged her out of bed. A Young Lady (which is obviously what she’s become) MUST get beauty sleep.

I was very grateful when Georgia started exhibiting those symptoms that you describe. These days, she lets us sleep in on weekends too. Sometimes even to 8! Though by then, even if SHE’S still sleeping in, I must hurry on downstairs to get her brekkie or get the whale eye and whinge.

P.S. And I thought our walks in the dark were scary. If I lived in your wonderful part of the world, I think I would get a walkalator for the dog.
    Georgia Little Pea recently posted..Strange things I did as a child, with [or because of] my dogs.My Profile

3. houndstooth
    March 27, 2012 at 5:56 pm (2 years ago)

Ha ha ha ha ha! We have two camps here! The Greyhounds will sleep in as long as we do. The Shepherds are up and at ‘em half an hour before the alarm clock goes off, no matter what time the alarm is set for. *grumble* It’s not about walks, though, it’s about their stomach timetables! Now that I’m on break, Bunny actually gets up, goes out to take care of business, eats breakfast and then comes back to bed with me! Back when I was so miserably sick with bronchitis and home by myself, I think I could have laid in bed all day if Morgan hadn’t been here. There’s no changing the clock on that girl!
    houndstooth recently posted..Practice What You PreachMy Profile

4. 24 Paws of Love
    March 27, 2012 at 6:05 pm (2 years ago)

BOL! You poor, poor girl. Shiva wouldn’t last one day in our house. :) All our dogs are on second shift mode. If you walk them in the morning, they are like angels they are so sleepy. When they were young they always woke me up, but as they got older their wake up calls got later and later. It’s kind of funny because I didn’t do anything for that to happen, they just did it on their own.

Send Shiva over this, the 24 Paws will straighten her out. :)
    24 Paws of Love recently posted..Monday Memories-Man, I Miss Having a RetrieverMy Profile

5. Crystal
    March 27, 2012 at 7:21 pm (2 years ago)

Lol, I guess I am luckier than you. Koira is willing to sleep pretty much as late as I let her, and always has been. She will sometimes ask to go out to potty, but is willing to head right back to bed when she come back inside. Pallo was much higher energy (read that, much more annoying) when I first brought him home- now, he has mellowed to the point that as long as I’m not moving, he doesn’t bug me. As soon as it looks like I am getting up for the day, though, he is up and bouncy (while Koira opens one eye to make sure she isn’t needed for anything).
    Crystal recently posted..Tasty Tuesday: Pallo’s Big MouthMy Profile

6. Pamela
    March 27, 2012 at 11:10 pm (2 years ago)

Those early morning walks can be lots of fun. Especially as spring comes in and you hear the birds start to wake up.

Honey wakes up early, around 4:30 or 5. We let her out of the crate and she climbs upon the bed to sleep in with the Dad while I get up to do my thing. It’s amazing how she knows it’s time to get on the bed. :)
    Pamela recently posted..Burlington, Vermont Might Be Pet-Friendly (but it’s just a replicant)My Profile

7. 2 Punk Dogs
    March 27, 2012 at 11:37 pm (2 years ago)

Maggie & Duke like to get up at 6:30 every.single.day. I could probably throw the alarm clock out & be fine, the crack dogs would get me up. They wake up so happy & bouncy that it’s truly disgusting. I wish I could wake up that instantly energized!
    2 Punk Dogs recently posted..Everybody on the Bed!My Profile

8. Zia Courtney
    March 28, 2012 at 1:20 am (2 years ago)

What a happy morning Shiva! It seems that he enjoy very much early in the morning!
    Zia Courtney recently posted..Bifold DoorsMy Profile

9. Jen
    March 28, 2012 at 1:24 am (2 years ago)

There are times Elka will. Not. Let. Me. Sleep.

Others? She’s just as happy to snuggle back under that blanket as I am.
    Jen recently posted..Wordless Wednesday, March 28 2012My Profile

March 28, 2012 at 1:28 am (2 years ago)

Cali used to let us sleep in – she even used to stay upstairs in bed until she decided we were done eating breakfast, and then she would stroll down for a bite to eat. NOW, she has decided that if it is light outside, it must be time for breakfast . .she is going backwards!!! I wish I had her energy :)
    Julie recently posted..Meet Kobe!!My Profile

March 28, 2012 at 4:38 am (2 years ago)

I am usually up around 6am, give or take about half an hour. Onbt he darker mornings I stretched it till about 6.30/7am. Song would usually get me up around 5.30am to go for her first toilet break just outside. Then about 6.30am she wants her breakfast. If I am lucky she will give me till 7am. We are usually out on our walk by 7.30am.

12. PrudenceLee
    March 28, 2012 at 6:42 am (2 years ago)

My Spitz is just a little dog, and I am still wondering how she run so fast? duh! I can’t run after her. And mind you, she’s a strong little creature! She loves walking and playing around, but she really hates cats!
    PrudenceLee recently posted..handMy Profile

13. Sammy Sam
    March 28, 2012 at 11:27 am (2 years ago)

HI Kristine, we usually get up by 6:00 AM weekdays and 6:30 AM on weekends. I like to get going as early as we can for my morning walk. Sometimes when it’s raining, we’ll skip my walk – I don’t like that too much but it seems to make my mom and dad happier.
    Sammy Sam recently posted..Sammy’s Simple Pleasures 2012 – Making tracksMy Profile

March 28, 2012 at 11:38 am (2 years ago)

Delilah was always the early riser, but since we switched to raw well there’s not much chance of me sleeping past 7 (which is breakfast time.) On the one weekend morning that I do sleep in, it’s because Hubby has already gotten up with them.

We do take turns so one of us gets a sleep in at least once a week. :-)
    Jodi recently posted..Don’t Talk To My DogMy Profile

15. cate
    March 28, 2012 at 5:47 pm (2 years ago)

Lucky for me with cats I don’t have to go out and walk them early mornings, but past 6.30am I do get a great deal of hair tugging for the bowls to be filled :)
    cate recently posted..The Patriotic Royal StanMy Profile

16. Shauna (Fido & Wino)
    March 29, 2012 at 2:08 pm (2 years ago)

Depends on how busy their day before was- they’ve been known to hang out in bed until 9am… even sometimes later.

What really makes me laugh is that their bedtime is 10:30pm. When we take them out for the last time after that they continually lay down on the ground as if their legs don’t work.

Turkeys :)
    Shauna (Fido & Wino) recently posted..bambino vs fido: on loving dogs lessMy Profile

17. carly
    March 31, 2012 at 10:09 pm (2 years ago)

I just have a kitty. But I frequently house-sit for my sister and she has a dog named Ziggy. Ziggy gets up at the crack of dawn. I like taking him out for early walks but I don’t think I could do that all the time. I like to sleep in. Thankfully, my kitty leaves me alone until 9am. :)
    carly recently posted..My Mission Viejo dentistMy Profile

18. Heidi19
    April 1, 2012 at 5:07 am (2 years ago)

I don’t actually have any pet. But honestly, I love dogs. Every time I sees one, I used to cuddle them especially when I knew the owner of it. Dogs are just like babies, they makes you smile in their simple ways.
    Heidi19 recently posted..Some Common Diseases That Can Affect Your Young ArowanaMy Profile

19. Karyn18
    April 1, 2012 at 11:07 am (2 years ago)

I love dogs as much as I love Cesar Milan. There’s this tip I just can’t forget he had shared. “What emotion you feel when you’re around your dog, he/she attracts it the same way.” So be happy and optimistic every time they’re around. Always be strong and be calm.
    Karyn18 recently posted..What You Need to Do to Get Rid of Your Thigh FatMy Profile

20. Amy@GoPetFriendly
    April 1, 2012 at 6:25 pm (2 years ago)

I’m sorry you’re back out in the dark. Hopefully the rotating earth will result in sunny morning walk for you and Shivs soon. And, I’m convinced there is hope for our crazy dogs – I just mentioned to Rod yesterday that Buster seems to be calming down a bit. We still have the same crazy reaction when we grab the leash, but in the downtime he seems to be a bit calmer. In fact, as I write this he’s laying quietly on his bed beside me. Fingers crossed – for both of us!!

21. Born25
    April 2, 2012 at 7:34 am (2 years ago)

Without my dog here in my side will be my worst day of my life! I love her so much that she’s already my baby. She gives us happiness and joy at home.
    Born25 recently posted..Instant conferenceMy Profile

22. lauren
    April 25, 2012 at 5:04 pm (2 years ago)

oh man, i feel your pain. we’re out at 5:30 every morning. desmond’s a jerk though, because he wakes up at around 4 AM and whines for attention–and would be willing to get up at that point. he does not care that my alarm goes off at 5. when i’m ready to take him out, i have to go back to the bedroom and drag him out of bed.
    lauren recently posted..Wordless Wednesday: After the Dog ParkMy Profile