BarkWorld Bound

I can’t keep the happy news to myself for one minute longer. You may recall that I entered a contest held by Iams Home 4 the Holidays in an attempt to win my way to this year’s BarkWorld Conference & Expo. It was the one in which I posted a video of my cat shedding sixty pounds of fur all over me. I am not joking. Every time I picked him up, he left several cats behind on my skirt. You can watch the damning evidence here.

He’s not sorry at all, is he?

Well… I didn’t win. But that’s okay! The author of Mayzie’s Dog Blog did and I can’t think of anyone who deserves it more. It was hard to shrug off the loss but since I never expected to attend anyway, I put it out of my mind. Until about five days ago.

On my way home from work I saw a message on my phone from the very kind and generous founder of the social “petworking” event. Before I could talk myself out of it I responded and several emails later I found myself the recipient of an offer I could not refuse: free airfare to Atlanta, Georgia and a pass to my very first pet blogging conference.

I’d normally insert a “woo hoo” here but that doesn’t seem to cover it. By the time October rolls around I am going to be in incredible shape after all this happy dancing!

BarkWorld Expo

It’s hard to put into words how excited I am about this incredible opportunity. BarkWorld is the only industry-wide educational conference featuring social media and lifestyle discussions for pet lovers from all areas of interest. There will be keynote presentations from Twitter, ASPCA, Meetup.com, and the director of the HBO documentary Madonna of the Mills. I have no idea how I am going to decide which educational sessions to attend. Have you seen the presenter list? With speakers like the brilliant Dr. V of Pawcurious and Andy Hartman, the VP of the United States Dog Agility Association it’s going to be hard to contain myself!

If that wasn’t enough, there are a multitude of activities in between sessions. From dog yoga, to a charity HOWL-O-Ween costume party, to a special tour of the Georgia Aquarium. The latter could be a life list item all on its own.

And I haven’t even mentioned the best part! Guess who else will be there? None other than two of my blogging heroes, Kim Clune and Amy Burkert. Not that I will be brave enough to actually speak with either. But I look forward to learning a lot from their sessions and bragging on Twitter about being in the same room with them.

I mean, wouldn’t you?

It all came together so quickly I still can’t really believe me going to BarkWorld is a real thing in the world. But somehow it is. October 25th can’t come fast enough!

I can’t thank founder Denise Quashie enough for this opportunity. I will do my best not to spend the entire conference hiding under the table.

28 Comments on BarkWorld Bound

1. houndstooth
    September 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm (2 years ago)

I felt the same way when I found out I was going to BlogPaws! I’m so happy and excited for you! I wish I were going to Bark World, too, but it hasn’t been in the cards this time. Have fun! You’ll learn so much and have a blast!
    houndstooth recently posted..A Bedtime StoryMy Profile

2. Georgia Little Pea
    September 1, 2012 at 6:03 pm (2 years ago)

Awww. What a lovely offer. I’m very happy for you! I guess this must be the exciting secret you were talking about. I thought it was a new puppy LOL. X
    Georgia Little Pea recently posted..A ride on the ferry.My Profile

3. Jessica
    September 1, 2012 at 6:10 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations! I hope you have a blast, and come back to tell us all about it.
    Jessica recently posted..Dog LogicMy Profile

4. Leslie
    September 1, 2012 at 6:28 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations, Kristine! Wow – it’s wonderful and I’m so happy for you! I hope you plan on sharing everything you learn there with those of us who couldn’t make it. ;)

Have fun and enjoy!
    Leslie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 54 – Happy dog…My Profile

5. Greyhounds CAN Sit
    September 1, 2012 at 6:40 pm (2 years ago)

Wow, how awesome!! Congratulations:) What a wonderful experience this will be for you and I bet you will soon get dragged out from under that table. Can’t wait to hear all about it. Sounds like a lot of fun as well as learning heaps.
    Greyhounds CAN Sit recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – No Words Needed:)My Profile

6. jan
    September 1, 2012 at 7:01 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations, Kristine. If you actually come out from under the table :) we’re looking forward to your sharing of ideas. But please don’t make October come too soon. Life goes by too fast as it is.
    jan recently posted..PETA loses lawsuit against California’s Happy CowsMy Profile

September 1, 2012 at 11:50 pm (2 years ago)

Okay – I am SOOOOO happy for you!! Yay!!! I can’t wait to hear all about it ;) Denise Quashie is officially one of my favorite people!
    Julie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday #40My Profile

8. AJ
    September 2, 2012 at 12:56 am (2 years ago)

SO EXCITING! You’re gonna tell us everything about it afterwards, right? Right?!
    AJ recently posted..Review: Jack’s new BrasilazyMy Profile

9. Emily Woodhouse
    September 2, 2012 at 12:05 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations!
    Emily Woodhouse recently posted..RedXMy Profile

10. Poochie Project
    September 2, 2012 at 6:39 pm (2 years ago)

How awesome is that! Good for you and have fun. Make sure to report back with all the good times.
    Poochie Project recently posted..A gift for friendsMy Profile

September 2, 2012 at 9:28 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations Kristine, I am SO happy for you!! I can’t wait to hear all about it!
    Jodi recently posted..Dogs Can’t AddMy Profile

12. Vivien
    September 4, 2012 at 5:32 am (2 years ago)

A big Congrats to you Kristine I cant wait and so excited to read this blog…It so much fun and enjoy reading your blog..
    Vivien recently posted..Tinnitus Retraining DevicesMy Profile

13. Peggy Frezon
    September 4, 2012 at 10:55 am (2 years ago)

I’m so excited that you’re going to go!! yippeee! And trust me, the others there will be amazed to be in YOUR presence! I can’t wait to read all about your experiences. I’m so so so happy for you!
    Peggy Frezon recently posted..Dog Goodie BagMy Profile

14. Blueberry's human
    September 4, 2012 at 12:58 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my goodness! How exciting! So happy for you – what a wonderful opportunity!
    Blueberry’s human recently posted..Sunflower SeedsMy Profile

September 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm (2 years ago)

Congratulations! That’s awesome! You’ll have a blast! If I wasn’t an anti-social hermit, I’d totally be jealous, too :)
    Jen K recently posted..Did You Know: Calgary Has Leash LawsMy Profile

16. lexy
    September 4, 2012 at 5:08 pm (2 years ago)

ooh, exciting! have a great trip, take lots of pics :)
    lexy recently posted..Gone for a WanderMy Profile

17. Amy@GoPetFriendly
    September 4, 2012 at 11:30 pm (2 years ago)

WHOO-HOO!!! I’m doing a happy dance, too. And, after all these years of enjoying each others’ blogs and sharing as much as we have, I’ll be heart-broken if you don’t speak to me. Honestly, I don’t feel I should be anyone’s blogging hero – we’ve learned all of this stuff together! I’m just really glad that Denise is such a cool person who recognized what a great blogger you are and went out of her way to make sure you got to the conference. I can’t wait to finally meet you in person in October!
    Amy@GoPetFriendly recently posted..What To Do If Your Dog Gets Stung By A ScorpionMy Profile

18. Trude
    September 5, 2012 at 6:16 pm (2 years ago)

That’s so exciting! I can’t think of anyone better to go. Congratulations!!
    Trude recently posted..Friday With DanteMy Profile

19. Sarah
    September 6, 2012 at 4:06 pm (2 years ago)

That is SO awesome!
    I only recently found out about Barkworld and wish I’d known about it sooner. I’ve already committed to the BFAS No More Homeless Pets conference in Vegas that same weekend. I say Barkworld should move to Vegas so that I can do both!

I cannot wait to hear/read all about it – it looks like it’s going to be a fantastic time!
    Sarah recently posted..The Brothers BostonMy Profile

September 8, 2012 at 4:40 pm (2 years ago)

When I first read your post I was so happy for you. It’s about time the great dog blogger, yes you, gets to go. I am officially jealous. I hope you have an absolutely terrific time. :)
    melF recently posted..Favorite Video Friday – So You Want a Newf?My Profile

21. Lauren
    September 18, 2012 at 5:05 pm (2 years ago)

Whoa! Congrats. I’m super jealous. Bark world is gonna be hopping this year, but I can’t go. Really gonna try for blogpaws though.