My New Cat Training Hero

I’ve been meaning to share this gobsmacking video for a few weeks. I knew I would need time to come up with the right adjectives. Apparently there isn’t a word superlative enough in the dictionary as all I keep thinking is wow.

Wow.

This is the stuff for which I have been searching: definitive proof that cats are just as awesome, just as trainable as dogs.

There are so many things I love about this. The fact that the handler is a young boy, the fact that the equipment is accessible and can be put together by anyone, the fact that the cats were trained using a clicker. Not to mention, it looks like he happens to be Canadian and I am not above a bit of patriotism.

All of the cats seem to be enjoying themselves. I doubt they would do it otherwise. It’s fascinating to note the way they jump as compared to the way I am used to seeing dogs move over the obstacles. Clearly when motivated, cats can get much, much higher.

The above video isn’t even my favourite of all 85 posted on his Youtube channel. It’s just the most flashy. The one I like the most shows footage of Daniel King teaching his cat named Puffy basic tricks. The relationship between human and feline in this video is so evident that I beam all the way through.The best part is how excited he gets when Puffy learns something new. Their connection is beautiful to watch.

I gotta admit, I am envious. This is the way I wish I could approach training with both of my pets all the time. Daniel King is patient, gentle, and incredibly dedicated. With his attitude, I suspect he’ll well known in the animal world one day.

22 Comments on My New Cat Training Hero

1. jan
    March 1, 2013 at 7:05 pm (1 year ago)

Wow! pretty much describes it. What an amazing young man. They all look like they are having so much fun doing what who knew cats could do or even wanted to do. I do feel guilty though allowing my cat to just be lazy all day instead of doing agility.
    jan recently posted..Golden Poodle awards for FebruaryMy Profile

March 1, 2013 at 7:22 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much for sharing these videos. I had trouble stopping watching them. I would so watch this young man and his cats on a weekly tv show.

I too believe that many cats could do the same things with their people that dogs do routinely–travel, compete in agility, take walks.

Oh, and you go ahead and be patriotic. Canadians are awesome (says the girl who just watched Slings and Arrows for the third time and still cried at William Hutt’s performance of King Lear). :)
    Pamela | Something Wagging This Way Comes recently posted..Second Chance Dogs; Second Chance People ā€“ Inspirational VideoMy Profile

3. Barb
    March 1, 2013 at 9:47 pm (1 year ago)

You said it – WOW! I’ve never seen a cat doing those kind of agility tricks before, it was awesome and shows the bond between the cat and the young boy – precious!
    Barb recently posted..Oh no,I discovered a lump on my pet! Part 1My Profile

March 2, 2013 at 1:33 am (1 year ago)

That was AWESOME!!! All of our poor cats really need some agility training!! What fun! I could watch this all day :) I think my Zuni would really love this!! Thanks Kristine ( I can’t wait to see your sweet little kitty doing some of these tricks!)
    Julie recently posted..Cali ā€“ an update!My Profile

March 2, 2013 at 5:57 am (1 year ago)

Fab video.

Hope you have a good weekend.

6. Coralee and Finn
    March 2, 2013 at 11:59 am (1 year ago)

Wow, that is so incredible! My oldest cat is 15, and I’ve had somewhere around half a dozen cats since then at various times. I’ve never trained them to do anything except use the litter box and (not terribly successfully) stay off the counter, but they never cease to amaze me with their intelligence, ability, and agility! And what an incredible little trainer! Outstanding!
    Coralee and Finn recently posted..Life of Finn: Holiday MischiefMy Profile

7. 2 Punk Dogs
    March 2, 2013 at 8:21 pm (1 year ago)

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing. Now I feel extra lazy for not doing more with the dogs and cats. :)
    2 Punk Dogs recently posted..I wanna hold your handMy Profile

March 3, 2013 at 12:08 am (1 year ago)

Okay, that is super cool!
    I’ve never doubted cats have the capacity to learn skills and tricks, I just figured they choose not to, so it would take an especially patient person to work on it. This kid is impressive!
    (I saw bunny agility at a pet expo here and that was also impressive, which made me certain cats could do it, too.)
    Jen K recently posted..Monday Mischief, 9th editionMy Profile

9. 24 Paws of Love
    March 4, 2013 at 4:36 am (1 year ago)

AWESOME!! I have always wanted to do this with my cats, but never look into how to begin…

That was beyond COOL! Thanks for sharing!

10. Basil
    March 4, 2013 at 9:09 am (1 year ago)

That video is pretty fab!

March 4, 2013 at 1:57 pm (1 year ago)

Now that’s pretty darn awesome and those cats look like they are having a great time!! Yes, I think you’re right, there’s a lot to come from this young man.

You can do it Kristine, you can get kitty to do agility. I believe in you.
    Jodi recently posted..Monday Mischief ā€“ 3-5-13My Profile

12. Katherine
    March 4, 2013 at 3:33 pm (1 year ago)

Now that is pretty awesome. I’m still trying to train my cats basic obedience (please don’t dump your food bowl off the counter!) so we’re a long ways away from agility. ;) I find it amazing that the handler is a young boy–So encouraging!
    Katherine recently posted..Piper, the Atlanta Beltline catMy Profile

13. Cassandra
    March 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm (1 year ago)

“they seem to be enjoying themselves. they wouldn’t do it otherwise”
    How naive you are. Have you watched big cats performing in a circus? How do you think they are trained to do that? By giving them a treat and a pat? NO, it is by cruelty.

Have you seen elephants performing in a circus? How dio you think they are trained to do that? By giving them a treat and a pat? NO, it is by using electric shocks to their genitals.

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on My New Cat Training Hero

1. [...] think she might be as crazy as Shiva, but in the same lovable way.) She happens to have found her new cat training hero. Me? Iā€™m thinking evil [...]

2. [...] My New Cat Training Hero (rescuedinsanity.com) [...]