Fleece-lined Pants Rock My World

I don’t want to keep being such a whingey baby about this. Winter hasn’t even begun and I know the moratorium on complaining about the weather must have been up weeks ago but it is so freaking cold! Like stupid cold. Eyelashes frozen together boots sticking to the pavement cold. Not that there is any pavement. It’s all covered in ice and snow. Just look at the forecast!

That's Celsius, yo

That’s Celsius, yo

It doesn’t help that my best friend, whom has been living in Edmonton so long she has lost all semblance of perspective, tells me this is nothing. That it’s going to get colder. This barely registers on the coldness scale of Edmontonian deep freeze.

There is no question. I am going to be lucky if I make it till spring. Which, by the way? Doesn’t usually arrive till June.

Not even the sight of Shiva in a reindeer sweater can warm me up

Not even the sight of Shiva in a reindeer sweater can warm me up

At least, this is what I thought until after I walked the dog tonight. Pretty sure the end was nigh, I figured I may as well suck it up and toss away all attempts to look cool. After tugging on my itchy purple hat that makes my hair stand on end and donning my overly-large winter coat, I reasoned I may as well dig out the ol’ fleece-lined pants too. Why not? It’s not like I was going to live much longer. May as well go out looking like Ralphie’s little brother in A Christmas Story.

Well. About ten minutes into the walk I realized something strange. I wasn’t frozen. Sure, I couldn’t feel my face but the rest of my body was downright toasty. It made no sense. The temperatures were lower than they were this morning. I shouldn’t feel warmer. The only thing that had changed was the addition of the bulky, tattered fleece-lined pants. Could they really be a game-changer?

I decided to conduct an utterly un-scientific experiment. Fifteen minutes after Shiva and I returned home, just enough time to get cozy, I decided to test my theory by going back outside for another walk.* This time, I didn’t wear my hat or my gigantic coat. That way I would be able to discern whether or not the pants really did have supernatural powers.**

As I trudged to the store two blocks away I noticed several things. 1. Hats really do have a purpose. 2. It’s impossible to look cool with a runny nose. 3. My body, and therefore by extension my limbs, remained reasonably warm. It was a Canadian Winter miracle! My life is saved! I might make it to the thaw after all!

So my Christmas wish list this year is simple. All I want is ten more pairs of fleece-lined pants. in multiple colours. If they come in work-appropriate styles, even better. Size eight, please. You know, just in case you had any extra on hand…

For those who are also dreading the deep freeze, are there any items you swear by to make it through?

*Okay, that’s a lie. I actually went back out because we were out of cat food*** and apparently letting TC starve is worse than facing the frigid wind-chill.

**This is another lie. The real reason is because I didn’t want the people in the store to judge me for my fly-away hair or ill-fitting parka. I’d rather be cold and “stylish” because evidently I am thirty-one going on twelve.

***Of course, I didn’t just get cat food. I didn’t want to look like some sort of crazy cat lady who risks hypothermia to make sure Mr. Whiskers has an emergency supply of crunchies. So I also bought jalapeno cheddar bread and a box of frozen egg rolls. I would have bought candy canes as well (because that would have looked less weird??) but they only had french vanilla flavoured ones and I find that appalling. Why is it so hard to find candy cane flavoured candy canes these days? No wonder the world is falling apart. But I digress.

29 Comments on Fleece-lined Pants Rock My World

1. Jen
    December 5, 2013 at 9:43 am (4 months ago)

Lmao! Fleece lined pants are awesome, and what is even better is fleece lined coveralls in pink :)
    Yep, I have those and a coat to match. I seriously look like a pink marshmallow covered in frozen slobber in the winter and we don’t get nearly as cold as you! I also use hand and foot warmers ;)

I bought regular candy canes today, they only had the really small ones which bummed me out because I always try to fit the whole thing in my mouth and then almost choke.
    Jen recently posted..Keeping Those Pawtastic Paws Protected In The WinterMy Profile

December 6, 2013 at 3:16 am (4 months ago)

I want pink coveralls! How adorable is that? I can just picture you wearing them too. My fleece-lined pants are brown but the inside is bright pink. Does that count? Since I ripped them last year when i fell on the ice – totally the dog’s fault – the pink kind of sticks out now.

Note to self: must find out where to buy hand warmers.

Hahahaha! I mean, that’s awful. I hope you are okay.

2. Melf
    December 5, 2013 at 10:49 am (4 months ago)

LOL! I am laughing because your cold is about to be our cold, starting tonight, and because I love fleece-lined pants! I cannot tell you how much they can in handy as a pet sitter! Get as many as you can Kristine, you’ll need it.

BTW-I used to hate MN winters until I started dog walking in winter. When bundled up properly it can be so beautiful can’t it?
    Melf recently posted..Wordless Wednesday #168 – Fun with an OlloclipMy Profile

December 6, 2013 at 3:24 am (4 months ago)

Gross, I am sorry, but at least you are prepared. I am so glad I purchased them last year even though I had no idea what real cold was back then. Silly fool.

The snow is beautiful for sure and I always love walking in the quiet of the early morning. There is something so private about the experience.

3. Rachael
    December 5, 2013 at 4:32 pm (4 months ago)

Yowza, that’s a pretty cold forecast! I’ve been moaning about ours and we’re NOWHERE NEAR AS COLD!! Although, I might invest in some fleece lined pants, just because. They sound TOASTY!
    Rachael recently posted..Press Paws from Dogs TrustMy Profile

December 6, 2013 at 3:56 am (4 months ago)

You should! They are also super comfy and just good for lounging around in. Spread the love! :-)

4. Lisa Spector
    December 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm (4 months ago)

So funny, we were just talking about fleece lined pants in agility class last night. I know it won’t seem cold to you, but it’s unusually cold for Northern California right now and we were doing agility outdoors in 45 degree (Farenheit) weather. (Probably sounds like a heat spell, but it felt cold when you weren’t running your dog.) The chairs had ice patches on them. My instructor was wearing fleece lined Athletica leggings and a long down jacket and I was so jealous.

Also, I have fleece sheets. They are heavenly as they never get cold. Have you tried them?

December 6, 2013 at 4:07 am (4 months ago)

Temperature is all relative. I completely understand. That’s why my friend who has been living here for years thinks I am crazy when I call this cold. She delights in telling me how much colder it will get before the winter ends.

I have tried fleece sheets and they are almost too warm, if there is such a thing!

5. Wende
    December 5, 2013 at 7:59 pm (4 months ago)

Okay, I’m an Arizona whimp who has lived in the midwest for over 25 years now. I’m still a whimp but like you have discovered some elements that make the dog walking tolerable. I have found fleece lined tights that I wear under so many things, skirts to pants. And! Under my ski pants which help with wind — Kansas wind is a real thing! I wear Ear Grips brand ear muffs under my hat because I can’t tolerate the cold in my ears. And a big scarf to prevent wind from getting in my big coat is a must. Yes, I feel ridiculous but my dogs are happy to wait for me and they don’t judge! :)

December 6, 2013 at 4:08 am (4 months ago)

I believe it! I spent a lot of time in Southern Alberta on the prairie so I know all about the brutality of wind. I’m sorry you have to deal with all of that but it sounds like you have it down to an art at this point. If I live here long enough hopefully I will adjust as well.

6. Aleks
    December 5, 2013 at 8:04 pm (4 months ago)

Its mostly windchill after this point! I like to think of the whole winter as “cold” without too much variation until the week or two in late January where all the hairs on your face crystallize because it’s too cold for any water vapor in the air. At that point, it’s all about the scarves/neck warmers. I suggest only exposing your eyes at that point (which also can get cold).

After January you’ll enjoy -15 :) If you don’t already have some, I’d look into a pair of Sorel’s… you’re not truly a N. Albertan until you get a pair!

December 6, 2013 at 4:10 am (4 months ago)

Your EYES get cold?? How is that possible? You sound just like my best friend who just says I need better clothing. Pshaw, I say!

Nope, I’m not going to make it.

7. Natasha
    December 5, 2013 at 8:24 pm (4 months ago)

Minnesota dog walker here! South of the border of course, we had Thanksgiving last week, and fleece pants were on the tope of my gratitude list! Sierra Trading should be bookmarked, got some very snuggly pants for $23 recently. Wishing everyone coziness.

December 6, 2013 at 4:10 am (4 months ago)

Thanks, wishing you much the same! Thanks for the recommendation!

8. Roxy the traveling dog
    December 5, 2013 at 8:37 pm (4 months ago)

I bought the hubs flannel lined jeans a few years ago and he loved them. So…what is -29 celsius in Farenheit? Like -50 or something. I would die too, I have zero tolerance for extreme cold.

December 6, 2013 at 4:11 am (4 months ago)

I bet you would handle it better than you think – not that I’d encourage you to try. Stay where you are! Be warm! Be smart!

9. Blueberry's human
    December 5, 2013 at 9:02 pm (4 months ago)

I once had flannel lined jeans – they were amazing! Now, I realize that here in Arizona we don’t often dip into the frigid temps you are experiencing – but if it gets lower than 60, I shiver. I am glad you found that the fleece-lined pants work to make your winter a little more bearable!
    Blueberry’s human recently posted..Dog Clothes – Pro or ConMy Profile

December 6, 2013 at 4:13 am (4 months ago)

A little. But now that I read my eye balls might be in danger of frostbite I am thinking it may be a lost cause. Looking remotely attractive for the next six months certainly is!

10. Callie, Shadow, and Ducky's Mom
    December 5, 2013 at 9:29 pm (4 months ago)

When I was still living on Long Island (NY), I lived in my flannel-lined jeans from LL BEAN during the winter. And my down parka with the big hood (under which I could wear ear muffs). I’m thinking about buying a pair or two of those lined jeans again after the wind-chilled days we had last week! 20 years in the South have turned me into a weather whimp!
    Callie, Shadow, and Ducky’s Mom recently posted..Morning FogMy Profile

December 6, 2013 at 4:14 am (4 months ago)

Down parka… That sounds like the kind of thing dreams are made of, from the land of rainbows and unicorns…

It’s worth it, though. I am probably far too old to care what I look like anymore.

11. Annie
    December 5, 2013 at 9:41 pm (4 months ago)

Snow pants and a silk pashmina are what I can’t live without. The silk keeps you warm – is big enough to envelope the head and keep the wind off – and also works great for a sling if the dog needs to be packed

December 6, 2013 at 4:18 am (4 months ago)

Always have to think of the little furry ones. :-)

A pashmina is also much more stylish and comfortable than the itchy scarf I steal from my PH. ;-)

December 6, 2013 at 12:01 am (4 months ago)

Sound slike you need to get everything fleece lined;)

December 6, 2013 at 4:18 am (4 months ago)

That would not be a bad idea at all. I’d fleece-line my house if I could!

December 6, 2013 at 2:20 am (4 months ago)

I bought a pair of fleece-lined nylon pants for riding my bike in the rain. They’re also amazingly warm. But every time I walk you hear “scritch scritch scritch.”

Maybe you need to invest in fleece-lined bra and panties. You’d be all boobs and booty so no one would care if your hat messed up your hair. :)
    Pamela | Something Wagging This Way Comes recently posted..Your Dog’s Leash – Is it a Steering Wheel or a Communication Tool?My Profile

December 6, 2013 at 4:19 am (4 months ago)

LOL. That’s hilarious and yet also brilliant. I’d love to find out if they even sell fleece underwear…

14. Flea
    December 6, 2013 at 5:38 am (4 months ago)

My boy had and outgrew a pair of fleece-lined jeans. He LOVED them. I haven’t looked for another pair, but I just may have to, now. We got them at Old Navy.
    Flea recently posted..The Weather, It’s Coming Soon!My Profile

15. Jessica @YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner
    December 10, 2013 at 6:54 am (4 months ago)

It has been unusually cold here. We traveled to a town on the other side of the mountains yesterday and it was 12 degrees (F)! I DID have on my fleece lined pants (plus a not-as-itchy-as-your-it-sounds-like hat, gloves, wool shirt and two jackets) and I was still cold. My favorite winter dog-walking pants are the dog-runner pants from Lululemon. They are’t very work appropriate though.
    Jessica @YouDidWhatWithYourWeiner recently posted..Favorite Winter 2013 Clothes for Dog WalkingMy Profile