Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Border Collie

Before anyone is offended by the title of this post I want to make it clear that I do not believe Border Collies any any smellier than any other breed. If anything, their OCD nature probably makes them less odorous. No, the reference has less to do with stinkiness and more to do with the fact that the more time I spent in dog sports the more former mutt-lovers I saw switching over to the dark side.

Before anyone is offended by that I want to make it clear that I do not abide breed discrimination and  I think Border Collies are brilliant dogs. Some of Shiva’s best friends are Border Collies! Er…That may not quite be accurate. Shiva’s antics tend to bring out the worst in other dogs and Border Collies especially seem to prefer eating her face off to joining her in a game of running around like a maniac. Nonetheless! I love Border Collies and before the wackadoodle I used to think I wanted one. Now I know I prefer certifiable to genius in a dog.

The reason I call it “the dark side” is because there was a period where it seemed everybody I knew was getting a Border Collie. Let’s face it, they are over-represented in dog sports enough. Just look at this Canadian World Agility Team photo:

385285_575260402518399_1083747390_nThere seems to be this belief that if one wishes to move to the upper echelons of canine athletics, one requires either a Border Collie or a Sheltie. People I knew would get their start with a mutty rescue and then once they kind of knew what they were doing, they would purchase a Border Collie puppy. It was just a shame, is all. It gives newcomers and audience members the wrong impression. Other dogs are just as capable and love the thrill of competition just as much. One of the things I love the most is watching dogs of non-traditional breeds get out on the course and do just as well. Proving that, well, one doesn’t need a Border Collie to succeed.

Anyway, apparently it isn’t just dog sports in which Border Collies are unnecessarily the dominant breed. Or should I say species?

Champis is a hero to rabbits everywhere. Maybe a more appropriate title of this post should have been “Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Dog to Do a Bunny’s Job.”

11 Comments on Don’t Need No Stinkin’ Border Collie

1. Leslie
    December 7, 2013 at 10:03 pm (5 months ago)

O.M.D. That bunny video is the cutest, funniest, most fabulous thing I have ever seen!

If it lifts your spirits, Bella’s trainer is in Chicago this week giving her Jack Russell one more chance to win a National Championship (I think that’s the right terminology) before he retires. How cute is a JR on an agility course? :)
    Leslie recently posted..Follow up Friday and Day 6 of the Advent Calendar for Dog Lovers EventMy Profile

2. Sammy Sam
    December 7, 2013 at 11:51 pm (5 months ago)

Hi Kristine, my brother Jetta and sister Tuvia are both shelties and they like agility but they bark a lot. They don’t compete in trials, but they go to agility classes. They’re really good at barking and they can hold their own on the course but they can’t hard sheep, at all.
    Sammy Sam recently posted..2013 Family Christmas PhotoMy Profile

3. Kelly Welsh
    December 8, 2013 at 1:16 am (5 months ago)

Lol…. I had a border collie before they were cool. When you say not a traditional dog all that comes to mind is Sachel.

December 8, 2013 at 3:57 am (5 months ago)

Since one of my favorite films is about a pig who herds sheep, you don’t need to convince me. :)

But I’m not sure that bunny is good at taking the herdsperson’s directions.

But I was amused to see the lone Golden Retriever in the Canadian agility team. Whenever I see agility trials, the golden retrievers look positively pokey next to the border collies. But they never miss a contact.
    Pamela | Something Wagging This Way Comes recently posted..If Dogs Wrote Real Estate BlogsMy Profile

5. houndstooth
    December 8, 2013 at 9:25 am (5 months ago)

That is one determined and adorable rabbit!

I grew up with Border Collies and sheep, and I really enjoyed the breed. They are intelligent and extremely loyal. They aren’t what I would want living in town, though. Their need to work means that town living isn’t really the best thing for them. I’m a bit spoiled with my stubborn Greyhounds now, anyway.
    houndstooth recently posted..Suspicious ActivityMy Profile

6. Laura, Lance, and Vito
    December 10, 2013 at 9:26 am (5 months ago)

Ha! But I get it. If you love dog sports you want your next dog to have high odds of really liking it as well. While any dog can do agility, your more athletically built dogs are more likely to enjoy it more. Also most people who end up loving dog sports want a dog whose always ready to go and train whenever the person is ready, your herding breeds are again masters of that category. Getting a dog from a certain breed or even certain breeding lines, just increases the odds of both people and dog being happy trying to master a sport.

That being said, I highly enjoy having breeds of dogs that have the athletic qualities and training attitude to do well in dog sports, yet aren’t a border collie, aussie, or sheltie :) I can’t say I’ll never go to the dark side though!
    Laura, Lance, and Vito recently posted..Obedience SeminarMy Profile

7. Ashley
    December 30, 2013 at 8:17 pm (4 months ago)

As a BC owner I agree. I think I’m that special kind of weirdo that has loved the breed over a decade before even discovering dogs sports. I own a rescue and have been fostering for BC rescue since 2007 and just purchased my first purebred puppy from a breeder. Its kind of a cult, really, and one that I happily am in but I don’t think you have to have one to be successful.