Less Wordy Wednesday* – Rockin’ the Tee

Thanks to everyone who left advice and sympathy yesterday. I reckoned I wouldn’t be alone in my battle to defend the cat’s food bowl from the greedy jaws of the dog. I am still not sure what our future strategy will entail. It might be an attractive configuration of ceiling-high DIY baby gates – because Shiva will jump anything less than eight feet – ex-pens, and a good old-fashioned booby trap. Tar and feathers would make her look quite fetching, don’t you think?

I kid, I kid. No matter what we come up with, however, I promise there will be follow-up. And photos.

Speaking of the dog and pictures and strategies, Shiva given me cause me to worry about another aspect of her life. After almost six weeks, her injury should be entirely healed. The stitches were removed ages ago and the cone is a distant memory. Unfortunately, I noticed this evening that the area is still looking a bit too raw for my liking.

When I say raw, it looks like she has been scratching the heck out of the scar tissue during the day enough to make the area bleed. I am sure it itches like a bad mosquito bite and I can’t blame her for doing it but it is giving me some serious anxiety. The more she scratches, the more irritated the skin will become, and the slower it will heal. We obviously need to prevent her from doing any worse damage.

My PH’s suggestion? Clothing. A t-shirt, to be precise.

003I never thought I would be the kind of person to dress up my dog in my own clothes. Who does? I figure if I am going to do it, I may as well make it an old SPCA t-shirt so she can support a worthy cause at the same time.

002As it is slightly too baggy around the waist, she is also rocking the early nineties side-knot. Maybe I’ll have to get her one of those wicked t-shirt clips, just to make it even better. One in every colour so she can match her outfit.

Do they still make those? I hope not.

006I am wondering if I need to make her a pair of puppy pants. Because if she is going to wear a shirt being bottomless just seems… Unseemly.

Let’s hope the scar heals before I lose all sense of normalcy forever.

*I realize this post isn’t much less wordy than usual. I am just too lazy to come up with a different title. There are more important things to worry about, like how I am going to fashion Shiva a skirt out of an old pair of jeans.

12 Comments on Less Wordy Wednesday* – Rockin’ the Tee

1. Leslie
    December 12, 2013 at 8:36 am (7 months ago)

Oh. My. Dog. She really is the cutest thing ever.

Sorry she’s going at her scar. You’re right, I’m sure it itches like all get out. But Shiva in a t-shirt? So worth the price of admission. Really hope it helps.
    Leslie recently posted..Wordless Wednesday 115 – Light in WinterMy Profile

December 12, 2013 at 1:35 pm (7 months ago)

Loving Shiva in her t-shirt:)

I use Aloe Gel for any cuts, etc on me and Polly. It’s 100% natural and soothes. I think it speeds up the healing.

3. lexy
    December 12, 2013 at 5:15 pm (7 months ago)

poor Shiva! When Gwynn got a rash on his nether-bits, we found that putting a t-shirt on him upside down worked really well to keep him from further irritating the area. We had to add a belt (or, in this case, a tenser bandage wrapped loosely enough to avoid discomfort) to keep the ‘pants’ up. He looked like he was the littlest rapper with his strange baggy gangster pants.
    lexy recently posted..It’s a bit MuddyMy Profile

4. Blueberry's human
    December 12, 2013 at 8:13 pm (7 months ago)

I’m sorry to hear that she’s aggravating the scar tissue. Poor Shiva!

However, she really IS rockin that t-shirt! And to your question – I was one of ‘those people’. When I had my dog Shadow, she and my other dog Copper had an altercation and she ended up with a tear in her chest area that required a drainage straw looking thing. I didn’t want her to wear the cone of shame, so I put one of my t-shirts on her, complete with the knot. You are quite right about it not looking right without pants. I’m sure if I had had a pair that I thought would fit Shadow comfortably, I totally would have made her wear them. ;)
    Blueberry’s human recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile

December 14, 2013 at 4:02 am (7 months ago)

Thanks, I think so, too. I have thought about different topical aids but am so concerned about further irritation. I don’t want to use anything other than aloe without asking a vet. Paranoid much? I know. :-P

Besides, they still won’t prevent her from scratching and licking and I really don’t want to put that cone on her again. Hopefully it won’t be too long before we can set her free once more.

December 12, 2013 at 11:17 pm (7 months ago)

I agree with Jodi. Shiva looks adorable in a t-shirt.

I used one when Christie’s spaying scar didn’t heel. Unfortunately she kept getting out of it. We didn’t know what was going on until we caught Agatha helping her out of it. You’re lucky the cat isn’t cooperating with Shiva.

I’ve also heard form people who suggest Vitamin E to heel scars more quickly. Don’t know if it works but it probably couldn’t hurt.
    Pamela | Something Wagging This Way Comes recently posted..Fostering Dogs Makes You GrowMy Profile

December 14, 2013 at 1:32 am (7 months ago)

Thanks. I am just glad she doesn’t seem to mind it too much. But she did manage to wriggle her way out last night and I have no idea how. Creative dogs.

I have tried aloe and I hope that makes a difference. It actually looks much better after just two days of her leaving it alone. Yay!