Less Wordy Wednesday: Only Love

I love this dog. It is that easy. She isn’t super smart and she ate all of my shoes, but I love her just the same.

018

Only love gets me up at five-thirty every morning. Only love prevents me from crying when the thing I just pulled from her mouth smells ranker than a teenaged boy’s hockey gear. Only love has me sighing and washing my hands in the snow before carrying on with our walk.

021

She is crazy and annoying and destructive. She makes me worry and she keeps me up at night and she gets peanut butter on my clean work pants.

1897767_705957446115388_795352153_n

She changed my life. She helped me discover a new passion. She gave me more confidence than I’ve ever felt and she taught me patience, something my mother never thought possible. She makes me a better person. She isn’t my “heart dog”, whatever that even means, but she is my first dog, and she always will be.

040

I feel sorry for all those people who don’t get it, who have never been lucky enough to love a dog, who treat them like disposable toys. Or worse. Dogs aren’t easy to understand and they often cause trouble. But they have so much to give. It is only our loss if we choose to ignore or shove them aside.

019

I love this dog. It doesn’t even matter if she loves me.

18 Comments on Less Wordy Wednesday: Only Love

1. Shraddha
    February 5, 2014 at 8:13 pm (6 months ago)

Indeed….lucky are those who have experienced selfless love of a canine… and indeed lucky is the canine who finds someone to love them back. :)
    Shraddha recently posted..Falling off the face of the planet…My Profile

2. Brooke
    February 5, 2014 at 8:22 pm (6 months ago)

Great post, Kristine! And I love that first picture of Shiva!
    Brooke recently posted..Meet The HunkMy Profile

3. Miranda
    February 5, 2014 at 8:59 pm (6 months ago)

I love everything about this post. Dogs change everything – typically for the better. (Even if it doesn’t seem like it at the time.)
    Miranda recently posted..Faking JoyMy Profile

February 6, 2014 at 1:34 am (6 months ago)

There’s no doubt Shiva loves you.
    Sue recently posted..WOYWW 5th FebruaryMy Profile

5. Roxy the Traveling Dog
    February 6, 2014 at 8:03 am (6 months ago)

It’s very true, loving a dog, even one that isn’t perfect. ….is perfect.

February 6, 2014 at 10:39 am (6 months ago)

Getting a sideways glance from people because I blog about my dogs and don’t blink at expensive vet bills isn’t uncommon. I treat this reaction with ambivalence (‘oh well, they don’t get it’), but you’re right – I should feel a little sad or sorry for them. They’re missing out!
    Jen K recently posted..Throwback Thursday: The BloodhoundMy Profile

7. Sarah
    February 6, 2014 at 11:07 am (6 months ago)

Beautiful post.

February 6, 2014 at 12:10 pm (6 months ago)

Only love could get me to stick my hand in the noshing jaws of death because I was more terrified she would eat something that would hurt her, than to pull something vile out of her mouth or risk getting bitten. And yes, I have pulled vile things from her mouth!

I feel sad for people who have never love or been loved by a dog. It’s the best feeling in the world.
    Jodi recently posted..I’m StumpedMy Profile

9. Rachel @ My Two Pitties
    February 7, 2014 at 11:14 am (6 months ago)

I feel bad for people who don’t know what it’s like to love a dog too! There are so many studies to show how dogs add to people’s overall happiness, health and lifestyle. My life changed so much when I added my pups:)