Do you remember me talking about my fears regarding a super-sized agility training weekend, capping off in a fun match? Probably not. Regardless, the event is this upcoming weekend. While I have pretty much decided we should enter the match, I am also currently trying to stop myself from coming up with excuses to bail.
Reasons to Attend
1. It will be a blast. I love all of the cool agility people we get to hang out with. Everyone is insanely supportive. As I don’t have much of a social life, this is a good opportunity to talk to other people with whom I have something in common. Since I will have my dog with me, I won’t be able to hide in the bathroom the whole time.
2. The stories! There are always hilarious moments during events like these. I know I will feel sad if I only hear about them second-hand later on.
3. By Sunday evening, Shiva will be utterly exhausted.
4. Photo opportunities. I will do my best to remember my camera this time and get my practically husband to take pictures. I promise not to delete all of the embarrassing ones.
5. Shiva loves agility. With a passion. Even when she decides to screw the course and run around like a moron, she is having a good time. After our private session a few weeks ago, one of our trainers reassured me she doesn’t think Shiva is stressing out when she gets the zoomies. She is just so excited she doesn’t know what to do with all her energy. It is my job to keep moving to keep her attention on me. But, even if I massively fail, Shiva will still enjoy herself. What does she care about the course map anyway?
6. It is the Year of Badassery.
7. Blog fodder!
8. More practice in a new environment. While we have trained at this location before, it is still fairly new to Shiva’s senses. Also, there will be many new people and even more new dogs. Even if I just set her up in front of the first jump, lead out, and then go back and reward her, it will have been a success for us. As my trainer said, most people start taking their dogs to trials as puppies, just to get them used to the intense environment. We didn’t have that ability and so it is important to spend time doing that now.
9. It is highly likely we will fail and Shiva will just take off to go shopping. But there is a wee little chance she won’t. How awesome and confidence-pumping would that be??
10. Did I already mention the blog fodder?
Reasons to Bail
1. I am an incurable coward
It’s pretty clear I have a very difficult choice to make.