The top news stories this week are:
– At this point, everyone in the world has seen the Ultimate Dog Tease video. I will admit, even after my own fifty views I still giggle. What I didn’t know, is that the creator of this video, and many others, is from my little corner of the world. That’s pretty cool in and of itself. It gets better. Not only is he from the Halifax area, he has also opened an online store. All of the proceeds from this store will be donated to the Nova Scotia SPCA. That’s just fantastic! Check it out!
– Last week, I wrote a post asking for some advice on behalf of my practically mother-in-law. Your response was incredibly useful and supportive. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I am thrilled to report that sweet Tia has now joined their family. Isn’t that exciting? They have changed her name to “Nikita”, which means “unconquered” and is the same name of my childhood dog. It sounds like she is settling in well. I can’t wait to hear all the details and I look forward to meeting her one day!
– Some good news has come out of Yarmouth, Nova Scotia! After a tragic dog attack in March, the town council was subjected to a lot of public pressure to re-visit animal control by-laws. BSL was a common theme tossed around by the media. However, after a public meeting on May 9th, the Yarmouth council effectivelytook a possible breed ban off the table. This is such a huge relief for dog lovers across the province! It’s all thanks to the many letters, email, and public presentations fo members of the local community. Proof that individuals can make a difference!
– Speaking of pit bulls, last week Kate from Twenty-six To Life wrote an excellent piece about breed stereotyping. I’ve read a lot of articles on the subject but I think Kate’s is one of the best. She writes from a place of passion and sincerity. If you haven’t read it yet, you are missing out.
– Another blogger, Maggie from Oh My Dog!, put up a post that I found really interesting. She asks the question,”are dogs introverted or extroverted?” There was a great discussion in the comments that made me think about my dog’s motivations. There are times Shiva can be a little shy, especially with people, but she never hesitates to jump into the thick of things with other dogs. It’s gotten her into trouble, unfortunately. I don’t know if that makes her an extrovert as she is just as happy exploring the world on her own. There are days where she could care less if other dogs exist at all. It’s something that’s kind of fascinating to ponder.
– Finally, I have to share this link to the 5 Best Pet Reunion Videos. It’s pretty gloomy here in Nova Scotia. We haven’t seen the sun for weeks. Every single one of these videos makes me laugh and cry at the same time.*
*But in a good way, unlike Marley & Me, which I just watched last night for the first time. Is the entire purpose of that movie to make the viewer ugly-cry for five hours? Because that’s what I did. I’ve never been so thankful to be alone.