I should start off by apologizing in advance for what may seem like gratuitous photos of the sun. It’s been centuries since we’ve seen it in these parts and I may be a little over-excited. If this offends you, please look away.
Two more days till the big test. Thinking about it gives me major butterflies so I am trying to put it out of my mind. Doo doo doo, just another weekend, la la la. I think I am more nervous now than I ever was for any of my major university finals. More nervous than I was for that terrifying Physics 20 exam in high school. More nervous than I was for that horrendous Chemistry AP test where I was so certain I was going to fail I registered to take the course again in the fall. (For the record, I didn’t fail.)
Anyway, I think now is as good a time as any to to a re-cap on the first half of my Year of BadAssery:
1. I lost my job. But, instead of letting myself get down, I went out and found an even better job within three weeks.
2. I submitted a video of silly pet tricks into an online contest. (And won!!)
3. I moved my website from wordpress.com to wordpress.org without a major catastrophe.
4. I have learned to trust Shiva enough that I no longer run away when we see another dog coming. We have officially taken back the forest!
5. I have introduced myself to several strangers and sat down at several tables filled with people I didn’t previously know. It will never come easy for me but it’s good to know I won’t self-combust.
6. I have danced in public with my dog.
7. I have approached a company about sending me a dog-training product to review.
8. I attended an agility fun match with my dog. Even though we didn’t participate, it was not at all easy for me to show up. We need to do more of this in the future.
9. I stood up to someone in my local animal welfare world in defence of crate-training.
10. Last night, when a woman stood outside our front door with her baby in a stroller I didn’t wait for her to finish talking to our neighbour. Instead, I saw it as a training opportunity and stepped right out with Shiva. For a brief moment, I even let Shiva investigate the toddler. (She licked his hand!!)
I like to think I have done well facing some of my fears. It’s only the beginning.
What are you celebrating today?