Last night Shiva and I graduated from our advanced life skills class. I wouldn’t say we got perfect marks but I am proud of the baby steps we have achieved. Here are some of the things I know now that I didn’t know before:
1. I really like hanging dog training certificates on my refrigerator.
2. Shiva will always eat the poison.
3. Shiva’s sit-stays, down-stays, and stand-stays are better than I expected. She can even hold an impressive bow-stay.
4. Food on the floor is still much more interesting than I am. Even if I have beef in my pocket. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as far as this puppy is concerned.
5. It makes me really happy to hear our trainer comment on how much Shiva seems to love people.
6. We did almost too good a job at instilling Shiva’s confidence.
7. Shiva can handle herself if we leave the room. But not for more than two minutes.
8. I really like showing off my dog’s tricks.
9. Even though Shiva is three years old, she is less mature than dogs half her age.
10. Dog training takes a lifetime. There will never be a point where we can sit back and say we are officially done. Even the things I think we’ve got down, still require constant practice.
11. Shiva the Dog is insane. Instead of trying to cure this, I need to start working with it. Of course, I have absolutely no idea how to achieve this.
12. Every dog and dog handler has their training difficulties. Even if the dog handler is also a professional trainer.
13. I am very lucky my dog is willing to put up with me.